Saturday, June 13, 2009

My First Projects

Whilst I was growing up I have always watched my mother sew....I remember her making me dresses for special occassions such as flowergirl or to attend my uncle's wedding in NSW and then lots of things for her first born grandchild. It was a skill I thought I would like like to learn so took Home Economics as a school subject. I did ok and remember making a pair of shorts here and there and then forgot all about sewing once I finished high school.

In view of my recent frustration over the years at buying gifts for my family "just because" and not because it was what I wanted to get them...I thought I would try my hand at sewing again so that I might be able to make personalised gifts for my family and friends....I bought a second hand sewing machine from a garage sale to find it didnt work, maybe this was a hint. At a visit to Spotlight one day, I noticed they had a simple sewing machine on sale for around $180.00 I bought it and took it home. From there I just googled and looked up free sewing tutorials and patterns and went to work...

I have to admit I have had a couple of minor learning points along the way which have led to me becoming a great friend with the unpicker however I am pleased to admit that these are getting fewer as I go along.

Here are the first things that I have learnt to make.
My very first project....was part of the EB Monthly Sewing Challenge.
The Margaret Bag..
I accidently printed the pattern in the wrong size and the bag turned out a little smaller that I wanted but apart from that perfect...so it made a great 8th birthday present for one of my nieces.



My next gift was a birthday present for a very special Great Aunt. I made this bag lined with pink satin so that she would have something nice to take her with her when she went to play cards....





My next gift to make was for a friend of mine's little boys birthday he was turning 2. What does every little boy need when you are two.....a reversible Superman / Batman cape to run around with of course....(modelled here by my gorgeous boy)


No comments:

Post a Comment